The project focuses on the conversion of associated gas produced at Karachaganak gas condensate field into environmentally friendly energy sources via the production of blue power and blue ammonia using carbon capture technology.
KGEC’s ultimate goal is to help develop a local gas processing industry and contribute to Kazakhstan’s economic diversification and decarbonisation, assisting the country in shifting from upstream to downstream focus.
The KGEC project has the following advantages:
- Accelerating the decarbonization of the economy of Kazakhstan
- Enabling a realistic energy transition from the currently fossil-fuel based economy to a hydrogen-based economy, using Kazakhstan’s abundance of natural gas sources
- Building up Kazakhstan’s state-of-the-art technology and unique expertise in complex gas processing and ammonia-hydrogen industries
- Increasing supply of sweet gas and blue electricity for the West Kazakhstan region, including massive procurement volumes
- Creating highly-skilled jobs with large economic and social benefits for the region’s population and businesses
Making the most of locally available resources in engineering expertise and construction capability.